Monday, December 29, 2008

I Kissed Dating Goodbye

The title itself is a turn-off. I wouldn't have picked up this book had I seen it in a book store at a different period in my life. But times have changed. My only regret is that I should've read this sooner than later.

So I kissed dating goodbye. The title is as radical as its contents. While getting my nails done (and I wasn't in the mood to have small talk about Karylle and Marian with the manicurist), I contemplated yet again about my life (note to self: avoid idleness at all costs. bring a book next time). What was I doing?! (Slap on the forehead) The world has its own definition of love -- that passion-filled, sweep-you-off-your-feet, butterflies in your tummy, "haven't felt this way before", "can't stop thinking about you", "can't stop thinking about your smile" kind of feeling. Intense (and beautiful) while it's there, but gone at the blink of an eye. I've seen the "beauty" of this kind of love. But I've also had my fair share of worldly-love inflicted pain. I'm sick and tired of this kind of perspective. Every break-up, whether from a one-week fling or from a serious four-year one, is painful. I don't want it anymore.


Love, in God's definition, is Jesus hanging on the cross. (No, I didn't kiss dating goodbye to become a nun. FYI.) Love is a
decision, and not a feeling. It's a decision you stick to no matter the cost. And until I'm ready for that kind of life-long commitment (in other words: marriage... which I'm certainly not ready for right now), I'm lying low from the dating scene. O good Lord, help me. HAHA!

I'm not about to start a debate whether you should quit dating as well. I'm not good at debates (just a good speaker. haha!). DISCLAIMER:
I'm not against dating nor people who date. This is just a personal conviction that I'm praying I'll be able to follow through. If you're tired of pointless relationships, if you're in it just for fun, if you're merely looking for someone better and not "the one", grab a copy of the book. Or you can rent mine for a minimal cost :D

No comments: