Monday, January 12, 2009

Waiting Time

Jan 10, 2009 7:56PM Schipol Airport, Amsterdam (Jan 11, 2009 2:56AM Manila)

After a week of stressful packing, I'm finally here waiting for my connecting flight to Manchester... alone. Just a few minutes ago, a friend offered me a hug to compensate for the who-knows-how-long time I'll be spending by myself in a foreign country. He and the rest of the group are probably waiting for their connecting flight to Gothenburg at the other side of the airport as well while trying to stay awake and fight jet lag. Good for them, they have each other to talk to while killing time. I, on the other hand, am seated between a sleeping Korean and a Brit with a beautiful purple coat while checking the signboard and my boarding pass (for the nth time) just to make sure I'm waiting at the right gate.


Right now, everything seems so surreal. -- from the eye candy (men and women clad in coats and boots) to the thousands of miles separating me from home. It feels as though I'm just waiting for my sister to come pick me up anytime soon. Then I remember I'm not at the office when I hear the paging system announce: "Passenger [name here], you are delaying the flight. Please board immediately. We will continue to off load your luggage."

I don't know what to expect from my stay here. Of course, professionally, I know I have to do well. But personally, I don't know yet how I'll be spending my much awaited retreat from my comfort zone. I do have a goal though: by the time I'm back home, I have by then let go of the remaining ropes of past traumatic experiences that I've been clinging to.

No comments: