Thursday, January 15, 2009

English Spokening

I was in training this afternoon and taking down notes when my trainer suddenly interrupted me and asked why I was writing notes in English. Then I paused and thought... why would I take down notes in Tagalog, especially if the notes where technical? (Well, even if the topic wasn't technical, I still would be writing in English.) So I said that's because I feel more comfortable writing in English. He looked at me wide-eyed and said, "Your English is very impressive. It's really brilliant. Amazing." At this point, I smiled, thanked him, and took pride in myself. Thank you St. Scho for the 11 years of English education.

However, now that I really think about it, I'm not sure anymore if I should be proud that I speak and write better English than Filipino. Although I don't want to pose as a wannabe socialite, that's just really how I am, how I was brought up, and what I'm used to. When I'm drunk, emotionally high, really angry, or really sad, I'd be ranting and raving in English. (Right, friends?:P) Speaking English well has its advantages and has got me to where I am now, so of course I should take pride in that. But not being able to speak and write in my own native language at the same level as I do in English is kind of a shame. Worse, I don't know how to improve on that, or if I should even try.

Being in a foreign country tends to make one become more patriotic. I'm not sure if I'm being patriotic right now. Just being honest, though :P

No comments: