Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lion King The Musical


The moment Rafiki started singing the opening chants of Circle of Life, I was already blown away. I need not watch the rest of the musical to decide whether it was good or not. I already knew it was going to be great. I couldn't even describe the emotions I felt while Rafiki was singing, and all kinds of animals were parading down the aisle towards the stage. Life-size elephants and giraffes, antelopes, buzzards, deer, cheetahs, zebras, and tigers were all walking down the aisle and were within arms' reach. Consuelo was rubbing my back while I futilely stopped the tears from falling because my eyeliner wasn't waterproof. The opening act was simply overwhelming. I already felt that every penny I paid was worth it (and more).


The story wasn't different at all from the cartoon. Same characters, same plot. What made it better, though, was the production itself. The life-size puppets, the costumes, the head pieces, and the special effects made a whole lot of difference. Flat images from the cartoon came to life in Lyceum Theatre. Pride Rock rose before my eyes in all its glory, the stampede scene was incredible, Scar was brilliant and was true to its character, Timon and Pumbaa are funnier, and Nala was very... agile :D

I could go on and on and describe the songs, characters, and scenes one by one, but I'd be doing my readers disservice. It is enough to know that the musical is worth watching. Even if you're not a fan of musicals and fall asleep while watching them, I guarantee you my one month's allowance that you will love Lion King.

I know I'm blessed more than I deserve. But you won't hear me complaining :P Keep it coming! :D

(taken from Simba's solo Endless Night)
I know that the night must end
And that the sun will rise
And that the sun will rise
I know that the clouds must clear
And that the sun will shine
And that the sun will shine

No comments: