Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Science fiction for people who don't like science fiction

So I don't only read about vampires, but I also read about aliens. My coolness meter just went up a few more levels. Hehehe :D

I never understood all the hype about sci fi, so I never read anything related to that.. until Meyer published The Host. I was hesitant at first because it was about alien invasion -- yikes. But after reading the chapters posted on her site, I got the book and read through it in a week. I was half expecting Edward to appear somewhere in the middle of the story :P I officially have a new favorite author. Thank goodness Meyer isn't a one-hit-wonder.

The best thing about the book is probably being able to make sci-fi readable for non sci-fi readers. Aliens, called Souls, that looked like silvery living ribbons invade earth by taking over human bodies, and then turn the world into the ultimate paradise -- all types of cancer are cured, no wars, no theft, no crimes, no bad anything. Not as half-bad as it sounds. But then, the human hosts, once taken over by a soul, no longer have control over their own minds and body and eventually lose their identity. Naturally, the remaining humans hide and fight for their survival. But after one of them gets caught, they realize that it's still possible to co-exist with the parasite and forge deep and meaningful relationships with someone (or something :P) from another race. More so, they realize that being human does not necessarily mean being parasite-free. Being human should be measured instead by the compassion and kindness you show others regardless if they're aliens, humans, or vampires. :P

I probably should give reading fiction a rest and switch back to self-help. My right brain is so worked up these days, don't you think? :P

No comments: